Seriously Chocolate Crackle Cookies
What I love about these cookies is that they are deeply chocolate, slightly crisp and chewy on the outside and densely chocolate inside. Just before serving, pop them into a microwave for a few seconds or a warm (not hot) oven for a few minutes to melt the chocolate a little. They also keep well, assuming you can keep from eating them all in one sitting.
I recommend using a high quality chocolate. You can even use a 70+ percent chocolate if you’re serving these cookies to chocophiles. The cookies will be less sweet and the intensity of the chocolate will carry the day. I recently made this recipe for friends dropping in for the holidays, but they are quite acceptable for any time of year, and especially appreciated when the weather turns fiercely cold or a blizzard rolls in. Also highly recommended for students cramming for finals and harried adults preparing their taxes.
- 8 ounces high quality 65% chocolate such as Valhrona, Callebut, Guittard or other high-end brand
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- scant 1/3 cup unbleached flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Rain's Choice vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup finely chopped pecans, lightly toasted
- 3/4 cup Powdered sugar
- Melt chocolate and butter on very low heat or over double boiler. Stir and allow to cool.
- Sift flour and baking powder together.
- Beat eggs until foamy, then add sugar 2 tablespoons at a time until thick and pale yellow (about 5 minutes with electric beater).
- Blend in chocolate. When mixed well, add vanilla then dry ingredients and finally, chopped nuts.
- Chill mixture for 10 - 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Place powdered sugar in a low, wide bowl. Scoop batter into walnut-size balls. Roll in powdered sugar.
- Bake for about four or five minutes, then lightly tap on each cookie to flatten. Bake another four or five minutes depending on how chewy you want your cookies. Don't overcook.
- Cool on a rack, then store in an airtight container.
Trackback from your site.