This decadent rich cake can be served throughout the year but is perfect for welcoming Spring. You can enjoy it with or without the frosting or chocolate honeycomb, or you can serve it plain with a dusting of powdered sugar. As strawberries become available, enjoy it with a big of caramel topping or whipped cream and sliced berries. Any way you serve it, it will be enjoyed!
- Preheat oven 350 degrees f.
- Line 3, 9-inch round baking pans with parchment paper and spray with baking oil. Set aside.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl combine the flour, brown sugar, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- Separate the eggs. Set the yolks aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whip the egg whites until white peaks form. Beat the vanilla sugar into the egg whites.
- In a small bowl, combine the egg yolks, coconut milk, oil and vanilla. Add to the flour mix and combine until wet. Gently fold the egg whites into the batter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pans and bake for approximately 20 minutes. Tops should be golden brown and an inserted toothpick should come out clean. Place on cooling racks until cool.
- In a large mixing bowl whip the unsalted butter until light and fluffy.
- While mixing, slowly pour the Vanilla Caramel Sauce into the butter, until blended.
- Add the powdered sugar, 1/4 cup at a time interspersing with the heavy cream. You may need a little more powdered sugar to reach your desired consistency, however, use in moderation to avoid making the cake too sweet. Mix in vanilla.
- Frost each layer of cake with frosting and drizzle with Vanilla Caramel Sauce. Stack the cake layers.
- Frost the top layer of cake, drizzle with Vanilla Caramel Sauce and top with Chocolate Dipped Honeycomb.