Broccoli Slaw with Oranges, Olives and Golden Raisins
This is one of those recipes that can be adapted however you’d like. I will say that the combination of ingredients makes a refreshing salad as it contains sweet, salty, juicy and crunchy contrasts. If you can’t find packaged broccoli and carrots cut in fine julienne pieces, you can make your own. Peel 1 large or 2 smaller carrots and the stalks of 1 or 2 pieces of broccoli. Using a julienne grater or a knife, make thin pieces of the carrots and broccoli, cut similarly to cabbage for coleslaw.
Serves 4 – 6
- 2 navel oranges, segmented, juices reserved
- 1/3 cup kalamata or green olives or a mixture of both
- 1/3 cup golden raisins
- 1 package organic broccoli slaw
- 4 ounces baby spinach or arugula
- 2 scallions, sliced thin
- 1/4 cup toasted walnuts (optional)
- Sheep's milk feta or blue cheese (optional)
- 3 Tablespoons olive or nut oil
- 4 Tablespoons orange juice
- 2 Tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Rain's Choice Vanilla Sugar or to taste
- 1 Tablespoon (or more) fresh mint, chopped
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Peel the oranges with a knife, removing all the white pith possible. Separate the segments of the oranges from the thin filament as well as possible. Squeeze the remainder of the orange for the juice. Set aside. Add golden raisins and allow to sit for at least 15 minutes. Cut olives in half and set aside.
- In a large bowl, add broccoli slaw, greens and scallions. Add oranges without juices, raisins and olives.
- Prepare dressing and pour over salad, mixing well. Just before serving, add toasted nuts and feta if using.
- Blend the salad dressing ingredients in a bottle or jar, shake and taste, adjusting flavors to taste.
Latest posts by Patricia Rain (see all)
- Sticky Toffee Pudding - December 2, 2017
- Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes - November 25, 2017
- Vanilla – Saffron Scented Butternut Squash Risotto - October 21, 2017
Trackback from your site.