Apple and Blueberry Cake
This quick and easy cake comes from Janet Sawyer, owner of Little Pod and author of Vanilla. It is an adaptation of a Mary Berry favorite. (Mary Berry is a well-known English culinary professional and cookbook author.) It’s perfect as an afternoon cake and can also be served for brunch. Vary the fruits based on the season; it’s as adaptable as it is easy to assemble.
- 300 grams/10 ounces apples
- 100 grams/2/3 cup blueberries
- 1 tablespoon brandy or dark rum
- 1 vanilla pod/vanilla bean
- 230 grams/1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 230 grams/1 cup plus 2-1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- 150 grams/1 stick plus 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- handful of raw, sliced almonds
- Powdered sugar for dusting cake
- Peel and slice the apples and combine them with the blueberries. Pour over the rum and infuse the vanilla pod/bean (this can be washed and retained for further use). Set aside for half an hour or so.
- Preheat the oven to 160 degrees C or 325 degrees F.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and sugar into a bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs until fluffy and light, then add the butter and vanilla paste or extract and stir them into the flour mixture. Pour just over half of the batter into the cake pan, then arrange the fruit on top. Cover with the rest of the mixture but don't worry about spreading it evenly over the fruit as it will spread in the oven. Sprinkle with the almonds.
- Bake 90 minutes, or until golden. Let it cool in the pan, then turn out.
- Dust with powdered sugar, if desired.
- Serve with lightly sweetened cream, ice cream or Creme Anglaise (pouring custard) if desired.
- This recipe calls for an 8-inch cake pan. I used a 9-inch springform pan. You can use that or a 8 or 9 inch cake pan. Whichever you use, line it first with parchment paper and lightly grease the bottom of the pan so the parchment doesn't slip.
Latest posts by Patricia Rain (see all)
- An Almost Gluten-Free Northwest Food Crawl Part One - February 3, 2019
- Apricot and Vanilla Bean Souffles with Creme Anglaise - January 30, 2019
- Moroccan Orange Salad - January 20, 2019