Away from the Kitchen by Dawn Blume Hawkes
Recipe by Chef Gail Gand
- 3 large egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Rain’s Choice pure Vanilla Extract
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- Place all the ingredients except the almonds in the bowl of a mixer fitted with a whip attachment, and whip on medium speed until frothy like a bubble bath, about 1 minute. Turn the mixer to high and continue whipping until the meringue becomes stiff and glossy, about 3 minutes.
- Store the meringues in an airtight container until ready to use.
- Using a rubber spatula, place large dollops of the meringue on a parchment-lined baking sheet, spaced 3 inches apart so they can expand as they bake.
- Sprinkle the meringues with sliced almonds and bake at 225?F for 2½ hours, until they are slightly browned and crisp on the outside but still chewy on the inside.
Makes 10–12 meringues
Chef’s note: Meringues will keep for up to three days.
Editors Note: This recipe can be used whenever you want to make meringues. However, it was designed to go with Baked Ricotta Custard with Cherries in Port Wine with Star AniseLook Delicious? Pin it for the world to see!