Away from the Kitchen by Dawn Blume Hawkes
Recipe by Chef Gail Gand
Write a review
- 3 large egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Rain’s Choice pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- Place all the ingredients except the almonds in the bowl of a mixer fitted with a whip attachment, and whip on medium speed until frothy like a bubble bath, about 1 minute. Turn the mixer to high and continue whipping until the meringue becomes stiff and glossy, about 3 minutes.
- Store the meringues in an airtight container until ready to use.
- Using a rubber spatula, place large dollops of the meringue on a parchment-lined baking sheet, spaced 3 inches apart so they can expand as they bake.
- Sprinkle the meringues with sliced almonds and bake at 225?F for 2½ hours, until they are slightly browned and crisp on the outside but still chewy on the inside.
- Makes 10–12 meringues
- Chef’s note: Meringues will keep for up to three days.
Patricia Rain is an author, educator, culinary historian, and owner of The Vanilla Company (www.vanillaqueen.com), a socially conscious, product-driven information and education site dedicated to the promotion of pure, natural vanilla, and the support of vanilla farmers worldwide. She also does culinary presentations for food professionals, cooking schools, trade shows, food fairs, and private groups, and is a regular radio and TV guest.
Latest posts by Patricia Rain (see all)
- Sticky Toffee Pudding - December 2, 2017
- Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes - November 25, 2017
- Vanilla – Saffron Scented Butternut Squash Risotto - October 21, 2017