Yamindra’s Sri Lankan Chicken Curry
This is a versatile recipe. It can be vegetarian, made with fish or meat, and you can add vegetables to the chicken curry recipe. Serve condiments such as chopped peanuts, pistachios or cashews, coconut, raisins or even fresh mango on the side if you like. And don’t forget the chutney!
- 2 teaspoons Yami's Spicy Secrets curry blend *
- 2 tablespoons olive or coconut oil
- 1 white or yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 to 4 fresh green or red chili peppers, cut lengthways into thin strips, seeds removed (optional)
- 4 Chicken breast halves, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 can regular coconut milk (I prefer Native Forest)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon regular or smoked paprika
- 1/2 -1 teaspoon Rain’s Choice pure vanilla extract
- Chopped cilantro for garnish (optional)
- Chopped roasted cashews (optional)
- In a dry skillet, toast Yami's curry blend lightly. Immediately remove from skillet and place in a large bowl. Add chicken and toss until covered with spices. Allow to marinate at least 15 minutes.
- Add oil to the skillet and add onion, garlic and chili peppers, if using. Saute for 2 minutes.
- Add chicken pieces and sauté, browning chicken well. Add coconut milk, bring to boil, then reduce heat to low. Simmer for about 10 minutes or until the chicken is tender.
- Remove chicken from pan and place in a serving bowl.
- Add lemon juice and paprika, bring to a boil and cook, stirring until it is reduced and the thickness of heavy cream. Add vanilla extract and pour over chicken.
- * You can buy Yami's Spicy Secrets curry blend at: http://yamispicysecrets.com/ Trust me -- this is an exceptional product and well worth ordering!