Roasted Heirloom Tomato Soup with Cashew Cream
Homemade tomato soup is a treasure, especially when it’s made with roasted tomatoes. They give the soup a deep, rich flavor that’s nothing like canned soup. If tomatoes aren’t in seasson and you’re really craving want tomato soup, canned San Marzano tomatoes are a good choice. While this recipe is vegan and uses cashew cream, feel free to substitute coconut milk, light cream, sour cream or Greek yogurt instead. You’ll need to adjust it to taste. Soups are very forgiving so don’t worry about exact measurements. You can also cut this recipe in half if you’d like.
- 5 pounds of tomatoes
- 2 large cippolini or other onions
- 10 cloves of garlic
- Olive oil
- Vegetable stock as needed
- 1- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated nutmeg
- Lemon juice to taste
- Salt and pepper
- Soy sauce (optional)
- Cashew Cream:
- 1/2 cup raw or roasted cashews
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Soak cashews in water for at least two hours or overnight.
- Core tomatoes, peel onions and garlic cloves, and place in a large baking dish.* Drizzle olive oil over tomatoes, etc. and place in preheated oven. Roast until tomatoes are completely soft, about 30 minutes. Allow to cool.
- Run tomato mixture through a food processor or blender in batches, thinning as necessary with soup stock. Sieve through medium-fine sieve to remove skins, pressing the mixture to get out the maximum amount of tomato pulp.
- Add 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract, lemon juice, salt and pepper and/or soy sauce. I like soy sauce as it gives a nice depth and richness to the soup. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Put cashews with a small amount of water in blender. Blend on medium speed, adding water as needed, until mixture is the thickness of heavy cream.
- Blend 2/3 of the mixture into soup and add more vanilla extract, lemon and other seasonings as needed.
- Heat before serving. Add small dollop of cashew cream in each bowl and sprinkle with chives if desired.
Serves 6 - 8 * If you have a grill, you can also place tomatoes, onions and garlic in a baking dish with a foil tent and roast over the grill for a delicious, smoky flavor. Coconut milk, light cream, crème fraiche, sour cream or yogurt can be substituted for cashew cream. Adjust amount to your taste preference.
Look Delicious? Pin it for the world to see!
Latest posts by Patricia Rain (see all)
- Burrata with Fresh Asparagus and Fava Bean Salad - July 7, 2017
- Bread, Wine, Chocolate: The Slow Loss of Foods We Love — A Review - July 4, 2017
- Master Sauce Chicken - June 23, 2017
Trackback from your site.