If you’re allergic or sensitive to dairy products or are vegan, finding a good alternative to heavy cream can be a challenge. Enter the humble cashew! Cashews aren’t actually nuts. They’re a seed attached to a pseudo-fruit and look like a small boxing glove. Follow this link to learn more.
Cashews make a great alternative to cream. The recipe below has the consistency of heavy cream. If you want a thicker cream, add less water. The flavor is delicate and very good served over cake slices and with fruits. You can also substitute it for heavy cream in recipes.Print
- 1 cup raw cashews (often sold at natural foods stores)
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon Rain’s Choice pure Vanilla Extract
- 2 teaspoons agave or honey (optional)
- Soak the cashews in water for a minimum of 2 hours. This activates enzymes in the cashews that makes them more nutritious and digestible
- Pour cashews and water into a food processor or blender and blend until perfectly smooth. Add pure vanilla extract and agave or honey if desired. Makes about 1-1/2 cups of cream.
Trackback from your site.