Chocolate Peppermint Meringues
A great way to use up leftover egg whites, especially during the holiday season. If you have leftover candy canes or peppermint candies, use them. However, if you are making these cookies during the Christmas season, look for the miniature candy canes. They have the most pink surface area. The color contrasts well with the white of the meringues.
- 2 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3/4 teaspoon Rain's Choice vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup white or dark chocolate or a mixture, chopped
- 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons coarsely crushed peppermint candies.
- Preheat oven at 250 degrees F.
- Beat egg whites and cream of tartar in a deep bowl with a mixer, just until white peaks form. Add vanilla extract and salt.
- With motor running on high speed, pour in 1 tablespoon sugar and beat 10 to 15 seconds, then repeat until all sugar has been added. Scrape inside of bowl and beat another 15 seconds. The meringues should form firm peaks when the beaters are lifted. Fold in chocolate and 1/3 cup candies with a flexible spatula.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper, using a dab of meringue at 2 opposite corners as glue. Drop meringue in rounded 1 tablespoon portions with an inch of separation between meringues. Sprinkle with remaining 1-1/2 tablespoons candies.
- Bake until meringues feel dry and set when touched but are still pale, about 30 to 35 minutes. Switch pan positions halfway through baking. Turn off oven, open door, and let cookies stand about 10 minutes. Let cool on pans.
Latest posts by Patricia Rain (see all)
- Asparagus and Sugar Snap Pea Salad - June 17, 2018
- Albacore Baked with Tomatoes and Beans and Garlic Caper Sauce - June 3, 2018
- Fresh Berry Shortcakes - May 19, 2018
Trackback from your site.