Strawberry Rhubarb Jam
- 1–1/2 cups (about 1/2 pound) rhubarb, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Dash salt
- 8 large strawberries, stemmed and quartered
- 1 teaspoon Rain’s Choice pure Vanilla Extract
- 1/8 teaspoon allspice (freshly ground if possible)
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Combine the rhubarb, sugar, lemon juice and salt in a 1-1/2-quart heavy-bottom saucepan.
- Bring to a simmer over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally until the sugar dissolves.
- Increase heat to medium-high and cook 5 minutes.
- Add the strawberries and cook 12 minutes, stirring occasionally. A pale-pink foam will appear on the surface and the bubbles will be larger than when the mixture began cooking.
- Stir in the vanilla extract and spices.
- Cool, then refrigerate, uncovered, for at least 1 hour, or until the jam thickens and is cold.