Lemon-Vanilla Pudding Cake
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup light cream or whole or 2% milk
- 5 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (6 if using Meyer lemons)
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Bean Paste
- Fresh raspberries raspberry coulis or raspberry jam for serving
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Spray six 6-ounce ramekins with vegetable oil spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the sugar with the flour.
- In another bowl, whisk the egg yolks with the butter until well blended.
- Whisk in the milk, lemon juice, lemon zest and vanilla paste with the eggs and butter.
- Pour the lemon mixture into the sugar mixture and whisk until smooth.
- In a medium bowl, beat the egg whites with the salt until firm peaks form.
- Gently fold the egg whites into the lemon mixture.
- Pour the batter into the prepared ramekins and transfer them to a small roasting pan.
- Place the pan in the oven and pour in enough hot water to reach halfway up the sides of the ramekins.
- Bake the pudding cakes for 35 minutes or until they are puffy and golden on top. Don’t overbake!
- Using tongs, transfer the ramekins to a rack to cool.
- Serve the cakes in the ramekins lightly warmed or at room temperature, dusted with powdered sugar if you wish, and raspberries or a dab of good raspberry jam on top.