Yeasted Buttermilk Vanilla Waffles
Courtesy of Beth Hensperger
Yeast adds a dimension of flavor and texture by allowing the batter to develop overnight before baking. Remember that a high temperature, in either a regular grid or Belgium-style waffle maker, tends to make a crisp waffle, while a lower temperature produces a waffle that is moist and tender. Serve with your choice of a dazzling array of accompaniments: raspberry puree and crème fraîche, a fruit butter, sliced bananas or fresh berries and vanilla yogurt, sautéed apples, or lots of pure maple syrup and sweet butter.
- 1-1/2 teaspoons instant or active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons sugar or honey
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 tablespoon Rain's Choice pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- The night before serving, begin the waffle batter: In a large bowl or deep plastic container, combine the yeast, sugar, buttermilk, butter, salt, and flour with a whisk. Beat hard until smooth, about 1 minute. Cover with plastic wrap and let rest in the refrigerator overnight.
- In the morning, preheat the oven to 250º. Heat a waffle iron to medium-high heat and brush with oil to prevent sticking. Beat the eggs, vanilla, and baking soda into the batter with a whisk until evenly incorporated. Ladle 1/2 cup batter into the center of the iron, close the lid, and cook until crisp and golden, about 2 minutes. Place each waffle in the warm oven in a single layer until the rest of the waffles are baked. Serve warm with one or more of the suggested accompaniments.
- To store, cool the waffles completely on a wire rack, wrap in plastic and then aluminum foil or plastic freezer bags, and freeze for up to 1 month.
- Reheat frozen waffles in a toaster without thawing.
- Makes about 8 medium waffles, serves 6.
Latest posts by Patricia Rain (see all)
- Guiness Gingerbread Cupcakes with Lime-Vanilla Frosting - March 13, 2017
- Shrimp with Remoulade Sauce - February 24, 2017
- Smoked Rainbow Trout and Endive Salad - February 20, 2017
Trackback from your site.