Spice Blend for Quick Breads
Courtesy of Lauren Groveman
Ready and waiting to be used as a flavor-packed addition to your quick breads and cookies, this dry spice blend is a real comfort, especially when you want to get something sweet and aromatic in and out of the oven, in a hurry. In addition to the suggested uses in the title of this recipe, this mixture tastes great when sprinkled on sautéed apples, in applesauce, fresh apple or pear pies, in whipped cream and even in cooked sweet potatoes or winter squash, mashed or drizzled with little softened butter and maple syrup.
For the spice blend:
- 1/2 cup ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup nutmeg (preferably freshly grated)
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground vanilla bean powder
- Pinch of salt
Use a whisk to combine all of the listed ingredients, then sift them together into another bowl. Position a wide mouth funnel over a 1/2 pint jar and spoon the spice mix into the jar. Ready for use, immediately after being assembled, store the jar on a cool pantry shelf, away from direct sunlight for 1 year.
Latest posts by Patricia Rain (see all)
- Guiness Gingerbread Cupcakes with Lime-Vanilla Frosting - March 13, 2017
- Shrimp with Remoulade Sauce - February 24, 2017
- Smoked Rainbow Trout and Endive Salad - February 20, 2017
Trackback from your site.