Vanilla-Scented Pear and Raspberry Relish
Courtesy of Didi Davis: www.dididavisfoods.com
This relish is a remarkable union of chunky pears, whole raspberries and fragrant vanilla. The vanilla adds a deep layer of flavor, while it bridges and connects the pears and raspberries. The raspberries are added after the pears have cooked and cooled a bit so they maintain their shape, yet the warmth of the relish is just enough to extract some of their juice to give the dish a lovely rose hue. The raspberry vinegar adds a welcome note of tartness. Bosc pears are best because they hold their shape when cooked. If not available, try Forelle or Anjou, but make sure they are under-ripe. Serve with all types of pork dishes, chicken, duck, hamburgers or turkey burgers. Try it with a rich fish such as salmon or bluefish. It makes a refreshing side dish with meat or poultry sandwiches and it’s delicious on yogurt. The relish keeps well for up to two weeks in the refrigerator.
- 2 medium to large Bosc pears, slightly under ripe, quartered, peeled and cored, and irregularly chopped
- 1/3 cup sugar, preferably vanilla sugar
- 1/4 cup raspberry vinegar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 pint fresh raspberries (about 1-1/4 cups)
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Place the pears, sugar, vinegar, water, and salt in a heavy, 2-quart, non-reactive saucepan. Bring to a boil, lower the heat, and simmer until the relish thickens, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes depending on the amount of juice and the ripeness of the pears.
- Transfer the relish to a medium bowl and cool to lukewarm. Add the raspberries and vanilla and stir to mix well. Allow the relish to cool to room temperature, gently stirring occasionally. Cover and refrigerate until chilled. Serve cold.
- Makes 3 to 4 cups
Make this Vanilla-Scented Pear and Raspberry Relish, photograph it for our contest and qualify to win a copy of Vanilla: The Cultural History of the World’s Favorite Flavor and Fragrance
Latest posts by Patricia Rain (see all)
- Burrata with Fresh Asparagus and Fava Bean Salad - July 7, 2017
- Bread, Wine, Chocolate: The Slow Loss of Foods We Love — A Review - July 4, 2017
- Master Sauce Chicken - June 23, 2017
Trackback from your site.