Courtesy of Chef David Lebovitz: www.davidlebovitz.com
- 2 envelopes powdered gelatin
- 1/2 cup + 1/3 cup cold water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup light corn syrup
- 4 egg whites
- pinch of salt
- 2 teaspoons Rain's Choice pure vanilla extract
- In a small bowl, sprinkle the gelatin over the 1/2 cup of cold water to dissolve and soften.
- In a saucepan fitted with a candy thermometer, mix the sugar and corn syrup with 1/3 cup of water. Place over medium-to-high heat.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, pour in the egg whites and beat on low speed until frothy. Add the pinch of salt.
- When the syrup reaches between 210 and 220 degrees, increase the speed of the mixer and beat the whites until they are thick and fluffy (do not overbeat).
- When the syrup reaches 245 degrees, while the mixer is whipping, pour the syrup into the whites. Pour so that the syrup does not fall on the whip, otherwise much of the syrup will splatter onto the sides of the bowl, not into the egg whites.
- Scrape the gelatin and water into the pan that you used for the syrup and swirl it to dissolve (it should be hot enough from the syrup to dissolve it). Pour the liquified gelatin into the whites as they are whipping. Add the vanilla and continue to whip for 5 minutes.
- Dust a baking sheet evenly and completely with cornstarch (I use a sifter for best results). Use a spatula to spread the marshmallows in an even layer on the pan. Allow to dry for at least 4 hours, preferably overnight, uncovered.
- Use a sharp knife or scissors to cut the marshmallows into pieces and toss in the powdered sugar and cornstarch mixture. Put the marshmallows in a colander or strainer and shake off the excess cornstarch mixture. (If they are too sticky, spray the knife with cooking spray, or dip it in hot water.)
- Makes one baking sheet
- Store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
Pin it for the world to see!
Latest posts by Patricia Rain (see all)
- The Differences Between Pure Vanilla Extract, Vanilla Flavor, and Imitation Vanilla - October 11, 2017
- Vanilla Scented Chicken Scaloppine with Mushrooms - September 18, 2017
- White Chocolate Macadamia Cookies - September 1, 2017
Trackback from your site.