Maple Roasted Brussels Sprouts, Rutabaga and Sweet Potatoes with Hazelnuts
The skin of rutabagas is thick and tough, so use a sharp, strong chef’s knife to remove it entirely and cut the rutabaga. Maple syrup caramelizes quickly so keep a close eye on the vegetables during the last part of the roasting.
- 3/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon3/4 teaspoon ground bourbon vanilla bean powder (can substitute extract if preferred)
- 3-1/2 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon + 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 pounds rutabaga, skin removed and cut into
- 1-1/2 inch pieces
- 3/4 pound Brussels Sprouts, trimmed and halved lengthwise
- 2 sweet potatoes (also called yams), peeled and cut into
- 1-1/2 inch pieces
- 3/4 cup toasted hazelnuts, chopped (may substitute pecans or walnuts)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Whisk together maple syrup, cinnamon, vanilla, oil, lemon juice and a couple of shakes of salt in a large bowl. Add rutabaga and sweet potatoes and coat them.
- Transfer rutabaga, sweet potatoes and all but 2 tablespoons of glaze, to a lined, rimmed baking sheet. (If vegetables are crowded, divide between 2 sheets.) Spread rutabaga and sweet potatoes in a single layer, sprinkle with salt and roast for 35 minutes, tossing half-way through and making sure the veggies are evenly spread though pan.
- Raise oven temperature to 425 degrees F. Toss Brussels sprouts with remaining glaze in bowl and add a couple of shakes of salt. Remove sheets from oven, and add sprouts. Toss and spread in a single layer. Roast vegetables, tossing every 5 minutes until glaze is very thick and vegetables are deep golden brown, about 20 minutes. Season with pepper and sprinkle with hazelnuts.
- Serves 6 – 8
Latest posts by Patricia Rain (see all)
- Vanilla – Saffron Scented Butternut Squash Risotto - October 21, 2017
- The Differences Between Pure Vanilla Extract, Vanilla Flavor, and Imitation Vanilla - October 11, 2017
- Vanilla Scented Chicken Scaloppine with Mushrooms - September 18, 2017
Trackback from your site.