Corn Chowder with Quinoa and Amaranth
Adapted from a Recipe from Spirit of the Earth
- 3 tablespoons butter or healthy oil, divided between 2 tablespoons and 1 tablespoon
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped leeks (white and light green parts) (or green onions)
- 1 cup finely diced celery
- 1/2 cup finely diced red bell pepper (or green bell pepper)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt, or more to taste
- 1/4 cup Amaranth grain, well rinsed
- 1/2 cup Quinoa, well rinsed
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme (or dried tarragon)
- 4 cups corn kernels (thawed if using frozen), divided between 3 cups and 1 cup
- 1 cup whole milk (or half-and-half, or non-dairy milk)
- 1 - 1-1/2 teaspoons Rain's Choice pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons minced flat leaf parsley, garnishment (optional)
- In a large, heavy pot, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter or oil over medium heat. Stir in the leeks, celery, red bell pepper, and salt. Stir frequently until the vegetable are soft, 3-5 minutes.
- Stir in the Amaranth and 3 cups of water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Stir in the Quinoa and thyme. Return to a boil. Reduce the heat slightly and cook at a gentle boil, partially covered, for 10 minutes.
- In a blender or food processor, puree 3 cups of the corn kernels with 1 cup of water. Stir the corn puree and the remaining 1 cup of whole corn kernels into the soup. Add salt to taste. Reduce the heat and simmer 5 more minutes or until the Quinoa and Amaranth are tender.
- Stir in the milk, vanilla extract and remaining tablespoon of butter. Add more salt, according to taste. Divide into portions and garnish each with a little parsley.
The soup thickens on standing; thin as needed with additional milk or water. I used 2% milk (instead of whole) for the whole recipe and it was delicious. Serves 6
A picture’s worth a thousand words…
Make this Corn Chowder with Quinoa and Amaranth, photograph it for our contest and qualify to win a copy of Vanilla: The Cultural History of the World’s Favorite Flavor and Fragrance
Latest posts by Patricia Rain (see all)
- Burrata with Fresh Asparagus and Fava Bean Salad - July 7, 2017
- Bread, Wine, Chocolate: The Slow Loss of Foods We Love — A Review - July 4, 2017
- Master Sauce Chicken - June 23, 2017
Trackback from your site.