Chocolate Mousse Cake
The uniqueness of this cake is that it is both cake and mousse in one. Dense and killer-rich, it delivers an intense chocolate flavor that isn’t diluted with flour. I often cover this cake with a simple chocolate glaze made from the same chocolate as the cake and enough butter to give it some gloss. A slender piece served with a raspberry liqueur or espresso provides an elegant end to a memorable meal.
Use the best butter and chocolate you can afford as well as our vanilla, as they won’t be wasted on this cake. Personally, I think dark chocolate is the best choice for this cake. However, if you prefer milk chocolate over dark, there are some intense milk chocolate options available.
- 1 tablespoon ground almonds plus additional to dust pan
- 10.5 ounces dark chocolate (at least 65% cocoa-fat) such as Guittard's Venezuelan or Machu Picchu chocolate
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1-1/4 sticks unsalted butter
- 5 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon Rain's Choice vanilla extract
- Confectioners' sugar/whipped cream (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Lightly spray an 8 or 9 inch spring form pan with cooking spray, then dust with ground almonds. Set aside.
- Melt butter, chocolate and sugar over low heat, stirring frequently. Remove from heat.
- In a medium bowl, beat the eggs and ground almonds. Add vanilla extract. Fold the egg mixture into the chocolate and stir until thickened, several minutes.
- Pour the cake into the pan, smooth the top and bake 45 minutes, or until the top is set and begins to crack.
- Remove the side of the pan and let cake cool completely.
- Dust with confectioners' sugar if desired or glaze with chocolate/butter mix. Serve room temperature or slightly warm with or without whipped cream.
Latest posts by Patricia Rain (see all)
- Vanilla – Saffron Scented Butternut Squash Risotto - October 21, 2017
- Pumpkin Chiffon Cake - October 18, 2017
- The Differences Between Pure Vanilla Extract, Vanilla Flavor, and Imitation Vanilla - October 11, 2017
Tags: Chocolate Mousse Cake
Trackback from your site.