The Best Port-Balsamic-Vanilla Glaze
We should all have a few show-stopping sauces to take a recipe from tasty to transcendent. Trust me, this is one is one of those sauces you’ll treasure and share.
What I love about this sauce is that it creates magic with so many different foods. You can use it to dress up grilled meat and vegetables, it makes a great salad dressing, it’s a quick fix for appetizers, it even works over ice cream and cake. The best part? It contains four ingredients! (Note: the curious items floating in the syrup are two halves of a vanilla bean. The longer the syrup sits, the more it is infused with vanilla.)
To get you started, make the sauce and tuck it in the refrigerator. I have created an appetizer platter and a salad using this glaze to inspire your imagination. I’d even recommend putting this over our Pumpkin Gelato. Now it’s up to you to have fun with it!
- 1 cup Port wine -- Tawny or Ruby
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 vanilla bean, sliced lengthwise
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar or agave, coconut or rice syrup
- In a heavy, medium saucepan, add wine, vinegar and vanilla bean. Bring almost to a boil and then reduce to a medium simmer for 15 minutes. Add sugar and continue to simmer until it begins to thicken and coats the back of a spoon. Remove from heat, cool, and pour into a glass container, keeping the vanilla bean with the glaze.
Latest posts by Patricia Rain (see all)
- Guiness Gingerbread Cupcakes with Lime-Vanilla Frosting - March 13, 2017
- Shrimp with Remoulade Sauce - February 24, 2017
- Smoked Rainbow Trout and Endive Salad - February 20, 2017