Black Bean, Corn and Orzo Salad
Courtesy of Bev Shaaffer – Mustard Seed Market and Cafe Natural Foods Cookbook
- 8 ounces orzo
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup cooked black bean
- 1 cup corn kernels, fresh if in season, frozen if not
- 1 small red bell pepper, halved, seeded and cut into thin slivers
- 1 cup prepared salsa
- 2 scallions coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian (flat-leaf) parsley
- 1/3 cup toasted pecan halves or chopped pecan pieces
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add orzo and salt and stir, cooking for 8 to 10 minutes or until orzo is done but still firm to the bite. Drain; toss with 1 teaspoon of the olive oil and set aside.
- Whisk together the lime juice, remaining olive oil, cumin and black pepper. Gently stir in orzo black beans, corn, pepper strips, salsa, scallions, cilantro and parsley.
- Stir in toasted pecans and taste salad: adjust seasonings as desired. Serve at room temperature or chill 30 minutes prior to serving. Makes 4 servings.
- Cooked rice can be substituted for orzo. Add a little extra oil and lime juice to the recipe if needed.
Latest posts by Patricia Rain (see all)
- Vanilla – Saffron Scented Butternut Squash Risotto - October 21, 2017
- The Differences Between Pure Vanilla Extract, Vanilla Flavor, and Imitation Vanilla - October 11, 2017
- Vanilla Scented Chicken Scaloppine with Mushrooms - September 18, 2017
Trackback from your site.