Banana Creme Brulee
Courtesy of Chef Rene Rice
- 2 ripe bananas
- 2-1/4 cups heavy cream
- 1/4 cup plus 8 teaspoons sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 Rain's Choice vanilla bean
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Have a pot of boiling water ready.
- Peel one of the bananas and cut into thirds. In a saucepan over medium heat, combine the cream, cut banana, 1/4 cup sugar and split vanilla bean. Cook, stirring, until steam rises, about 4 to 5 minutes. Let stand 10-15 minutes.
- In a bowl, beat the egg yolks. Strain the cream through a fine-mesh sieve over a medium-size mixing bowl. Discard the cooked banana and set vanilla pod aside.
- Pour the cream into the yolks, a little at a time, stirring constantly until smooth.
- Divide mixture among four 6-ounce ramekins.
- Place the ramekins in a three-inch deep baking pan and add boiling water to fill the pan halfway up the sides of the ramekins. Bake at 325 degrees, 30-35 minutes. Remove the ramekins from the pan, cool to room temperature and refrigerate at least two hours.
- Peel the remaining banana and slice crosswise into slices 1/8 inch thick. Arrange 7 or 8 slices over the top of each crème brulee and sprinkle 2 teaspoons of sugar evenly over each surface. With a kitchen torch, move the flame continuously in small circles over the surface until the sugar melts and lightly browns. Serve immediately. Serves four.
Latest posts by Patricia Rain (see all)
- Burrata with Fresh Asparagus and Fava Bean Salad - July 7, 2017
- Bread, Wine, Chocolate: The Slow Loss of Foods We Love — A Review - July 4, 2017
- Master Sauce Chicken - June 23, 2017
Trackback from your site.