Banana Creme Brulee
Courtesy of Chef Rene Rice
Banana Creme Brulee
Write a review
- 2 ripe bananas
- 2-1/4 cups heavy cream
- 1/4 cup plus 8 teaspoons sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 Rain's Choice vanilla bean
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Have a pot of boiling water ready.
- Peel one of the bananas and cut into thirds. In a saucepan over medium heat, combine the cream, cut banana, 1/4 cup sugar and split vanilla bean. Cook, stirring, until steam rises, about 4 to 5 minutes. Let stand 10-15 minutes.
- In a bowl, beat the egg yolks. Strain the cream through a fine-mesh sieve over a medium-size mixing bowl. Discard the cooked banana and set vanilla pod aside.
- Pour the cream into the yolks, a little at a time, stirring constantly until smooth.
- Divide mixture among four 6-ounce ramekins.
- Place the ramekins in a three-inch deep baking pan and add boiling water to fill the pan halfway up the sides of the ramekins. Bake at 325 degrees, 30-35 minutes. Remove the ramekins from the pan, cool to room temperature and refrigerate at least two hours.
- Peel the remaining banana and slice crosswise into slices 1/8 inch thick. Arrange 7 or 8 slices over the top of each crème brulee and sprinkle 2 teaspoons of sugar evenly over each surface. With a kitchen torch, move the flame continuously in small circles over the surface until the sugar melts and lightly browns. Serve immediately. Serves four.
Patricia Rain is an author, educator, culinary historian, and owner of The Vanilla Company (www.vanillaqueen.com), a socially conscious, product-driven information and education site dedicated to the promotion of pure, natural vanilla, and the support of vanilla farmers worldwide. She also does culinary presentations for food professionals, cooking schools, trade shows, food fairs, and private groups, and is a regular radio and TV guest.
Latest posts by Patricia Rain (see all)
- Vanilla – Saffron Scented Butternut Squash Risotto - October 21, 2017
- Pumpkin Chiffon Cake - October 18, 2017
- The Differences Between Pure Vanilla Extract, Vanilla Flavor, and Imitation Vanilla - October 11, 2017
Trackback from your site.