Almond Rum Cake
This delicate cake was conceived as a coffee cake but it deserves to be elevated to an afternoon and evening tea cake. Feel free to substitute brandy for the rum if you prefer.
- 1 cup raw unblanched almonds
- 1 cup unbleached flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup softened unsalted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg (or 2 -- see above)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons almond extract (divided use)
- 1 teaspoon Rain's Choice pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup Greek yogurt or sour cream
- 1/2 cup rum
- 1/2 cup confectioner's sugar
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons milk
- 1 cup sliced almonds, toasted in an un-greased pan until lightly browned
- Grind raw almonds in a food processor until mealy in consistency. Set aside.
- Mix flour with baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- Cream butter with sugar. Beat in eggs, and then add 1 teaspoon almond extract, vanilla extract, sour cream, rum and ground almonds.
- Combine flour mixture with butter-sugar-almond mixture, stirring only enough to make a thick batter. It should retain some lumps. (They will bake away; over- stirring will toughen the cake.) Pour into buttered and floured 9 inch springform pan*, top with sliced almonds and bake at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes.
- Mix confectioner's sugar with milk and remaining ½ teaspoon of almond extract. Remove cake from oven, pour confectioner's sugar mixture over cake, and return to oven for another 5 minutes or until cake seems firm and not runny inside. (A knife or cake tester will not emerge clean from this cake since it is so moist.)**
- Advance Preparation: This cake tastes best prepared the day before, and continues to stay moist and delicious for three days.
- * Cover the outside bottom of the spring form with foil to prevent leakage.
- ** I personally prefer to cover the top with powdered sugar before serving. Choose whichever finish you like best.
Latest posts by Patricia Rain (see all)
- Vanilla – Saffron Scented Butternut Squash Risotto - October 21, 2017
- The Differences Between Pure Vanilla Extract, Vanilla Flavor, and Imitation Vanilla - October 11, 2017
- Vanilla Scented Chicken Scaloppine with Mushrooms - September 18, 2017
Trackback from your site.