Away from the Kitchen by Dawn Blume Hawkes
Recipe by Chef Gail Gand
- 3 large egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Rain’s Choice pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- Place all the ingredients except the almonds in the bowl of a mixer fitted with a whip attachment, and whip on medium speed until frothy like a bubble bath, about 1 minute. Turn the mixer to high and continue whipping until the meringue becomes stiff and glossy, about 3 minutes.
- Store the meringues in an airtight container until ready to use.
- Using a rubber spatula, place large dollops of the meringue on a parchment-lined baking sheet, spaced 3 inches apart so they can expand as they bake.
- Sprinkle the meringues with sliced almonds and bake at 225?F for 2½ hours, until they are slightly browned and crisp on the outside but still chewy on the inside.
- Makes 10–12 meringues
- Chef’s note: Meringues will keep for up to three days.